MP To Reality TV Star? Matt Hancock Set To Be Judged By The Public on ITV!
On Sunday, popular ITV reality show, ‘I’m A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here’ returned to screens for its 22nd season and is set to introduce a VERY special contestant this year!
The New Season
After two years, the show has finally gone back to its original location in the Australian jungle after moving to Gwrych Castle, in Wales, due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Among the cast are pop icon Boy George, comedian Babatunde Aleshe, women’s footy legend Jill Scott and Hollyoaks actor Owen Warner. Love Islander and The Only Way Is Essex star Olivia Attwood was also part of the show until she was forced to exit after just 24 hours due to health concerns. The reality tv star is said to be ‘heartbroken’ at having to go back to her home.
Confirmed as one of this season’s bombshells is the UK’s former Health Secretary Matt Hancock. Many viewers are eager to know when his grand entrance will be as he was nowhere to be seen in Sunday’s opening show.
Ant and Dec have of course, already joked about the Tory MP’s appearance and teased, “we are going to be rolling out the welcome MAT very soon.” Matt is rumoured to be entering the show alongside stand-up comedian, Seann Walsh.
All smiles: Will Matt still be smiling after munching his way through the jungle buffet? Credit: ITV Press
Matt Hancock’s Reputation
Matt Hancock was appointed health secretary in July 2018 by Theresa May after previously working as culture secretary. When the Coronavirus pandemic began in March 2020, it was his job to lead the NHS’s response in what was seen as one of the biggest public health emergencies the UK has faced.
The Conservative MP isn’t very popular with the British public after ‘mistakes’ were made during the pandemic. He found himself the subject of multiple controversies and breaches during the coronavirus pandemic, sparking outrage in May last year when CCTV footage leaked of him breaking his own COVID-19 rules by kissing his aide Gina Coladangelo, who he was having an affair with! Shortly after this revelation, Matt Hancock resigned from his role as health secretary in June 2021. In his resignation letter, Mr Hancock reiterated his apology for "breaking the guidance.”
Public reaction to the announcement of Hancock’s role in the show has been mixed, with many calling for him to be axed from the series before he has even appeared on the show. He has defended his decision by saying he will still be able to take urgent constituency calls and will make a charity donation when the show has ended. He has also said that during his time on the show that he wants to help to raise awareness for dyslexia.
Photo Credit: Getty Images
Quite a few are keen to see him camping out in the Australian outback, and even more excited to witness him participating in the shows famed Bushtucker Trials. But anything could happen, maybe the British public will get to see a different side to Matt?
I spoke to Jacob Benson who is a part-time TV Critic to see what his thoughts were on Matt Hancock’s appearance on the infamous ITV reality show.
“In a way, I see this as nothing more than a way of him growing his PR and as a way for him to promote his upcoming book.”
Matt Hancock’s book ‘The Pandemic Diaries’, is set to release on Tuesday December 6th. The book will provide a definitive account of Britain’s battle to turn the tide against Covid-19.
“He will make for great television. It must take a lot of confidence to put yourself on a tv show like this knowing how members of the public feel. I can’t help but feel like this is the wrong time for him to make an appearance on national television. The pandemic is still so fresh in a lot of people’s minds, and people have not forgotten about him breaking the rules.”
“I don’t expect the public will keep him in the show for long if judging on past politician’s appearances on the show.”
Politicians that have appeared previously on the show include former Conservative party politician Edwina Currie in 2014, and Stanley Johnson who is the father of former Prime Minister Boris Johnson also made an appearance on the show back in 2017.
“Overall, I think Matt Hancock has made a poor decision to appear on the show and I feel most of the public will share the same view as me.”
Below are some reactions we have seen online about his reality TV debut.
We also ran a poll over on the CovFeed Twitter page to find out how people felt:
I contacted Coventry South’s Labour Member of Parliament Zarah Sultana to get her opinion on Mr Hancock’s appearance on the show but she declined to comment.
It will be interesting to see how far Matt Hancock gets on the show, and how he will come across to the public! You can tune in to watch tonight’s episode of I’m A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here over on ITV at 9pm.