Ukraine War Update

By Emily Coles

Ukraine Holocaust Survivor Killed by Russian Shelling

A Ukrainian man who survived the Holocaust in during World War 2 has been killed during a Russian attack on Kahrkiv, an Eastern City in Ukraine. 

Boris Romantschenjo, she 96, was killed in his apartment on Friday after Russian forces relentlessly shelled Kharkiv, located just 30 miles from the boarder.  

Ukraine officials have also said At least 500 other civilians have been killed in the attacks, including a 9-year-old boy. 

Romantschenjo, at age 16, was rounded up by Nazi troops after an invasion of the Soviet Union and in 1942 was deported to Germany. Here he was forced to conduct hard labour.

After a failed escape attempt in 1943, he was sent to the Buchenwald concentration camp, where some 56,545 people were murdered before its liberation in 1945 by the allies.


Live Updates:

14.51 pm - Putin’s forces are retreating following ‘large irreversible…losses of personnel, including command’. This move was taken after a counterattack by Ukrainian forces, which caused the Russians to lose their offensive potential.

14.16 pm - Russians current military aims have been deemed unclear by a war expert. After the war beginning almost a month ago in Ukraine, it still remains unclear what the Russian militaries intentions are, a senior lecturer in war studies has said. 

 

14.07 pm - Ukrainian refugees have arrived in Germany, fleeing from Russians invasion of their country. According to the UN, there is currently around 10 million Ukrainians displaced, with the majority remaining in the country. However, around one third of the population have become refugees in other countries. 

  

13.30 pm - Russian prank calls a distraction tactic. Prank calls by Russians to UK ministers have been labelled a distraction from the country’s illegal activities in Ukraine, Downing Street has said. This comes after two prominent Russian hoaxers published footage from a call they had made to Ben Wallace, the UK defence sectary. 

 

12.51 pm - Man United football club have payed tribute to one of their Ukrainian fans who had been killed in war. Aleksander Kukin was one of the founders of the Kyiv Reds supporter at only 20 years old and is deemed one of the clubs leading Kyiv fan club members. 

 

12:39 pm -  A superyacht that is owned by a sanctioned Russian billionaire has now been impounded by Gibraltar authorities, says the UKs Transport Secretary Grant Shapps.

 

12:26 pm – Russian paper has said that ‘hack’ has led to publication of casualty figures. 

A Russian newspaper has claimed its website was hacked following its publication of casualty figures highlighting it was in the thousands. The newspaper ‘tabloid Komsomolskaya Pravda’s’ website reported 9,861 Russian soldiers had been killed and 16,152 were wounded.

  

11.48 am - At least 17 children have been killed since the invasion began on the 24th of February, with another 155 others beinginjured, the Prosecutor General's Office of Ukraine reports. 

Majority of casualties {58} have been reported from the Ukrainian capital Kyiv and the second highest {40} in the second largest city, Kharkiv. 

 

Previous
Previous

Coventry’s ‘Fridays’ Youth Club wins National Award

Next
Next

Sandwiches Combat Climate Change